Role of voice and accent in public speaking.
Are you mindful of Vocabulary and Grammar but still fail to create a long lasting
impression as an Effective Speaker?
One may have a good knowledge of grammar and vocabulary but it’s not enough to create effective and lasting
Impression. We fail to realize the importance of accent and voice modulation in our social
And professional lives. One must take one’s language skill to another level and possessing voice
And accent skill is one of them.
Voice and Accent
Voice and Accent also focuses on Accent Neutralization. It’s a systematic method which is really important to instill a Neutral English Accent for those who have a regional touch or Mother Tongue Influence (MTI) in their speech. V&A training gradually eliminates the mother tongue from ones speech and makes one sound more like a global speaker.
Lets understand how it works!
Voice works with your vocal organs, pitch and articulation.
Accent is the way you speak that works with ones tone and intonation that is rise and fall of a pitch.
Below are some simple and practical tips to improve one’s voice and accent:-
- Mouth and Jaw exercises are needed to boost speech clarity. It requires practice of opening and moving your mouth to make sounds clearly and correctly.
- Watching good English movies or TV shows prove to be really beneficial to improve communication skills and vocabulary. Watching them moving their mouths and sounds they make, can help better in learning pronunciation.
- Listening to native speakers attentively also helps a lot. Pay close attention to their rhythm of speech.
- Make a habit of maintaining a diary to write down the difficult words with their meanings, spellings and pronunciation.
- Control your rate of speech. Learn to slow down and take proper pauses.
- Read out loud every day. Never underestimate the power of reading. Read anything that interests you. It will make you feel more confident and focused which improves delivery that goes hand in hand with improving your accent. Additionally, it improves memory, adds to knowledge and boosts vocabulary.
- Record your speech. It helps you become aware of how you sound and make you realize your mistakes.
- Trying out tongue twisters. They are phrases repeating the same groups of sounds making them difficult to pronounce when said multiple times in a row. They work wonders with Pronunciation and Enunciation.
- Learn the phonetic alphabets. It will help you identify new sounds. Familiarity of phonemes will help you recognize sounds that your ear is not ‘tuned to’.
- Get enrolled in any Voice and Accent program. Getting training from professionals will help you focus on other factors in detail, such as; phonetics, recognizing vowel and consonant sounds , formations of sentences, syllable and word stress, voice modulation and speech therapy.
Lastly, Commitment to learning and practice is all what we need, nothing happens overnight.
Be patient and don’t give up!
Wishing you the very best with your journey to speak more effectively and confidently.
‘HAPPY VOICE AND ACCENT TO ALL’
Neetu J. Talwar
English Language Trainer, Parenting and Memory Coach.
Join Public Speaking University to learn more:
Pic credits: pexels.com
608 total views, 1 views today
This is really helpful. Workable tips.
Thanks a lot
G8 Neetu jee for enriching wth Ur tips to encourage public speaking practice n definitely thse gonna to help zillion of people around the world.